Saturday, March 6, 2021

PROPS: THE SEQUEL

For my final steps before filming, I had to make sure all props worked according to the plan. While I was able to fabricate some models and pages of writing, the experiments still caused some complications: I do not have any chemical indicators to my disposition, and messing around with the cleaning supplies did not seem to be the safest choice. So, to give the extra science-y look to the opening, I had to find an appropriate substitute to the chemicals. Luckily, my sister had the solution.

Since she likes painting, we have accumulated quite a sum of different types and hues of watercolors, all of which could work as a plausible alternative for my experiments. The only problem, however, was the paint's extremely diluted form. Because it is meant to be used in a less concentrated state, it often does not provoke the high-contrast effect when added, drop by drop, to water - and, if it does, it is too light to be captured by camera. It took a few attempts, but we solved it: by choosing a brighter color and not getting the watercolors from the diluted source, we could make a more vibrant liquid pouring into the "beaker." The successful trial can be seen below.

As for the container, the video above clearly shows another issue: the Publix watermark. I have attempted to hide the green logo; it is now only visible if held against a light - which can be fixed when shooting.

Some other props were gathered and transformed into scientific utensils. With a cardboard box, I made a stool for my "test tubes" (I am hoping to avoid the amateur look by painting the structure in silver).  The original plan for the test tube holder was updated as I worked on it: initially, I had done two thin strands holding the horizontal bar. This did not work very well, as the pillars kept bending under the weight of the water. By cutting larger strands and adding vertically-cut bars under the superior base,  it became much more stable. While I am still having some trouble with the rack - it keeps toppling over! - I can probably use it as a prop if balanced correctly.

 

original plans
semi-final product

As of this point, the inventory is ready. Over the course of the next week, I plan on shooting the opening, and maybe even begin editing so that I can see if any segments need to be re-shot. My main concerns, for now, are the lighting and angles, since I am counting on an illusion to make the dinner table look like a desk. But enough waiting - it is time to dive in and let the action begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CREATIVE CRITICAL REFLECTION

Here it is! Enjoy! Click here to watch the CCR for Panacea .