Saturday, March 13, 2021

AH, TECHNOLOGY!

Welcome back, my dear readers! Today's post is brought to you by the wonders of technology. That is, besides the obvious technological aspects, the contents I am about to discuss relate directly to the features I only just discovered in my sister's iPhone, which I am using to film. Before I get to that, however, allow me to show you my final setup:

the dining room-turned office/lab - the first version
 
The picture above was a tentative approach to lighting for the final scenes, using two different lamps in an attempt to "blind" the camera. However, using distinct sources, unsurprisingly, did not create darkness, but made the scene better lit - such an unexpected outcome, isn't it? My struggle with the lamps, documented in detail on my previous posting, was finally solved when, by accident, I found out I could control exposure on the camera app! 
 
 
This discovery not only allows me to set the mood for the piece, but also helps conceal the background, which, as I have mentioned before, was another complication I have had to deal with. To better illustrate the effect this unearthing has on the shots, I have included a picture of the set on the left. It must be noted, though, that shots under this lighting will only be used towards the end, lest the opening look poorly lit - nobody studies in the dark. For the remainder of the scene, I will rely on the lamps seen in the first picture to create a more sophisticated environment, using the angles to build the illusion that it is an office desk and not a dining table.
Another revelation that came to me was the ability to do focus racks, as shown below. This way, I can connect the experiments to the subjects my scientist studies, and have the audience link one fact to the other, rather than have the character actively go through pages explicitly stating what she is reading. 

 
Overall, the recordings made so far have themselves provided me with feedback on what needs to be changed. For instance, filming the entire opening under the dim-lit atmosphere takes away from the ambiance, and the original setup proves to be more effective. I had originally planned on shooting most of the scene this week/weekend, but I unfortunately forgot my lab coat at school, where it is being used as a prop for our troupe's production of 9 to 5: The Musical. As soon as I get it back, I will try to finish the production process and jump into editing. For now, have this behind-the-scenes image for the filming of Panacea.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CREATIVE CRITICAL REFLECTION

Here it is! Enjoy! Click here to watch the CCR for Panacea .