Monday, February 15, 2021

EUREKA!

Hello, my dear readers! I come with exciting news: I finally have an idea for a plot! A vague-ish idea, but it's still a start! Before I get into it, yes, I am aware we are limited to the two-minute opening; still, knowing what happens throughout the story helps me get a better idea of how to begin, and how to foreshadow and develop the story and its components. And so, without further ado, I present to you my idea:

A desperate or obsessed chemist/pharmacologist loses themself in trying to create a panacea - others insist it's alchemy, but the scientist has to do it.

Now, there is a lot to work with based on this. What motivates the scientist to attempt this impossible task? Why do they feel obligated to do it? The cliche answer is evident: a sick partner. But I don't want this to be another sick-wife story, with hospital room scenes and soap opera conflicts. Not to mention, I don't really have access to a hospital where I could shoot the scene. This leaves me with a few options, all of which still need finessing: 

1. The scientist feels obligated to create the medicine "for the greater good:" not only will many benefit from the chemist's actions, but they will be held in high esteem, and recognized by his hard work. This can involve conflicts regarding the character's ego and need to be the best - a man vs. self conflict seen in some of the case studies (Black Swan, Whiplash, Jekyll and Hyde the Musical). In addition to that, the want to uncover a "truth," as opposed to wanting to save themself or someone else, can be observed in yet another of the case studies - Pi.

2. The scientist feels obligated to create the medicine because they believe they are sick. In other words, a hypochondriac chemist tries to cure themself - since they believe they are always unwell, or that another illness is just around the corner, they want to prevent themselves. Of course, because they are not really infected, the medicine never seems to work. That, and the fact that panaceas don't exist. With this idea, it is possible to get into the more psychological aspects and work with the main character's own impending sense of doom (that they have to get it right to save themselves)

3. The scientist feels obligated to create the medicine because they (or someone else but not their partner) are actually sick. This idea introduces a time-sensitive plot that generates tension (though it falls mainly under the "thriller" genre, as seen on my last post). Nonetheless, the "illness" aspect is a major theme in dramas, and although I do like the idea of a tragic ending, I do not want the deterioration or worsening of a character's illness to be the main conflict.

this is the "vibe" I'm going for when I talk about someone slowly losing it

It's a tough choice, but I will let my research decide which fits best, and which is the story I want to tell. As of now, I am tending more towards the first two ideas (as seen by the presence of actual case studies supporting them), but I am not certain if the "common good" is enough of a motive to drive someone past the point of no return. 

In addition to the brainstorming, I have also continued watching films from my list on the first post, and taking notes for each. Mostly, I tend to focus on how the story is told through the lens of a different genre, but I have also begun to take notes on the main character and their motives, trying to find shared characteristics I can base myself on to build my protagonist.

taking notes on each of the movies

SOURCES:

Masterclass. (2020, November 9). Guide to Movie Subgenres: 42 Subgenres in Film. https://www.masterclass.com/articles/guide-to-movie-subgenres#10-comedy-subgenres

Genius. (n.d.). Jekyll & Hyde: The Complete Work (1994 Concept Cast) by Frank Wildhorn. https://genius.com/albums/Frank-wildhorn/Jekyll-hyde-the-complete-work-1994-concept-cast

No comments:

Post a Comment

CREATIVE CRITICAL REFLECTION

Here it is! Enjoy! Click here to watch the CCR for Panacea .