Saturday, February 20, 2021

A MORE POLISHED IDEA

After some more thought on the subject, I finally have a clearer view of how to proceed. In fact, the moment of clarity was such that I, fearing that I might forget it soon, had to scribble it on the closest post-it I could find. Below, you can see some of my hectic thought process.

a sneak peek into my thoughts for the project (some are older notes, others came from my recent epiphany)

Before I continue to develop the stream-of-consciousness-like ideas pictured above, I have good news concerning the plot! If you'll recall from one of my previous posts, I listed a few ideas that could serve as possible scenarios for my project. Well, look no further - I have decided! The first concept - which works with the character's ego, the need for success, and the search for the truth - was the more appealing option. They say, "write what you know," and I certainly know the pressure for success. 

 

Back to the post-it notes, allow me to explain. To begin with, the overall sequence of events in the shoot should aim to establish the setting and some information with regards to the character in a "show-don't-tell" manner. With that in mind, the opening will illustrate (utilizing close-ups, inserts, and cutaways) the workaholic scientist's office. Since they are not yet overcome with their obsession, the shots show the character only mildly frustrated, with several books open and experiments undergoing, but no results. This will help build onto the character's need to be better - there is nothing quite like failure to motivate one to do better, be better. Among the various props used to fabricate the mise-en-scene of the chemist's office/lab, I can use trophies and certificates to demonstrate the many achievements in their life and show how the standards for their work are high. Some of this is only in the background but adds to my protagonist's identity. I also intend to make my own molecules of molecules to accentuate the "scientist" factor (those will be made of polymer clay if my experiments are successful).

 

Throughout the course of my opening, the scientist grows increasingly annoyed at their own inability to produce significant results. Their thinking process and fixation on the subject can be demonstrated with jump cuts, showing the passage of time, and allowing the audience to infer that they are dedicated to the study as they keep coming back to it to test a new hypothesis. The practice of giving fragments instead of the whole story has long been utilized and was among the tips Andrew Stanton offered during his TEDTalk, "The Clues to a Great Story." Stanton called it the "Unifying Principle of 2+2;" don't tell the audience "4," make them conclude that for themselves. And that is what I plan to do.


In addition to the outlining of the opening, I have done research on the topic that drives the main character insane: panaceas, or "cure-alls." From Greek, Πανακεια was the goddess of remedy and healing, whose gifts were put to action with a potion - the panacea. Throughout the years  (even as far back as the Middle Ages) many have tried (and failed) to create the mystical elixir, believed to grant eternal life and cure all illnesses. According to HuffPost, several elements were believed to possess such healing abilities, including mercury, sulfur, iron, copper, and honey, some of which are actually toxic metals. Regardless, alchemists have continued to look for an answer - even accomplished doctors have attempted the pseudoscience. 


With more knowledge regarding the topic, I can now create props and understand my character better, as well as how they would shift into a fictitious discipline, straying so far away from scientific truth.

 

SOURCES:

Panacea. (n.d.). Hellenica World. Retrieved February 20, 2021, from http://www.hellenicaworld.com/Greece/Mythology/en/Panacea.html

Fantozzi, J. (2017, June 20). Elixirs of Life: A History. HuffPost. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/elixirs-of-life-a-history_b_59496f6de4b07e2395ce1007

Stanton, A. (2012, March 6). The clues to a great story. TED Talks. https://www.ted.com/talks/andrew_stanton_the_clues_to_a_great_story#t-1142093

No comments:

Post a Comment

CREATIVE CRITICAL REFLECTION

Here it is! Enjoy! Click here to watch the CCR for Panacea .